Obrázky na stránke

aged only forty-six. Besides the works already mentioned, he wrote two plays—Les Flaireurs, acted at Brussels in 1890, and Pan, which was given at the Théâtre de l'Euvre, Paris, in 1905. An unfinished volume of poems on which he was engaged at the time of his death is being prepared for publication.




LADY MARY CAMPBELL, the youngest daughter of John, Duke of Argyll and Greenwich, was born in 1726. Her mother, the second wife of the Duke, was Jane Warburton, belonging to an old Cheshire family, and had been maid-of-honour to Queen Anne. In 1747 Lady Mary Campbell married Edward, Viscount Coke, only son of the first Earl of Leicester. The marriage was a most unhappy one from the first ; Lord Coke and his father quarrelled with Lady Mary, told her they meant to make her as miserable as they could, and finally shut her up in a house near Holkham. After many months of imprisonment, Lady Mary brought an action for cruel usage against her husband in the Court of King's Bench, and a formal separation was arranged. However, Lord Coke died in 1753, and Lady Mary, with a jointure of 2,5001. a year (nearly equal to double that sum at the present time), was free to do as she chose. She lived partly at a house near Richmond, called Sudbrook, and partly in London, making long visits to her friends, and occasionally travelling on the Continent. The chief interest of Lady Mary's life for many years was card-playing, and at her favourite game of loo (spelt by her, 'lu ') she won considerable sums—ten, twenty, or thirty guineas a night as a rule—sometimes a good deal more. During most of Lady Mary's widowhood she imagined that Edward, Duke of York, brother of King George the Third, was desperately in love with her, and after his death in 1767 she would never allow Westminster Abbey to be mentioned in her presence, because he had been buried there. Princess Amelia, the aunt of the Duke of York, showed great kindness to Lady Mary, though she could not help laughing at her, and often invited her to her house at Gunners. bury. The Princess was fond of cards, and did not despise what she thought a good dinner. On a Sunday, in 1779, Princess Amelia told Lady Mary that she had ordered some of her favourite dishes, and had not been able to help thinking of them whilst she was at church. These favourite dishes were Noodle soup (from the German nüdel), being veal broth with lumps of bread boiled in it; a hash of mutton; a tongue with a large quantity of greens ; spinach and eggs ; and a coffee cream. None of these

[says Lady Mary]

would have spoiled my prayers—not even the noodle soup, though I never heard of it before.

But Lady Mary Coke's absurd fancy about the Duke of York provoked the Princess, and she tried in vain to reason her out of it. At last Princess Amelia could stand her tears and sobs no longer, and said: 'My good Lady Mary, if you did but know what a joke he used always to make of you, I promise you would have soon done crying for him.' Lady Mary never forgave this remark, and attempted to retaliate by contradicting anecdotes told by the Princess, and finding fault with her play at cards. The Princess desired to see her alone, and said that, as she was conscious of having herself shown temper over the cards, she would only ask Lady Mary to own that she was sorry, and the subject should not be mentioned again. But Lady Mary would not yield. Upon this, Princess Amelia said : Well, Madam, your ladyship knows your own pleasure best. I wish you health and happiness for the future, and, at present, a good morning.' She ordered Lady Mary's carriage to be called, and with a bow she turned away. This scene took place several years before the death of Princess Amelia, but she and Lady Mary never met again. Poor Lady Mary spent her life in quarrelling ; she convinced herself that her friends ill-used her, that her servants robbed her and her tradesmen cheated her, and her later years were clouded by troubles of her own creation. In October 1811, when Lady Mary Coke was eightysix, she fell ill, and after a few days' confinement to her bed she died, with a high-crowned beaver hat upon her head. There is a beautiful full-length portrait of Lady Mary, painted by Allan Ramsay in 1762. In this picture, which now belongs to the Marquis of Bute, and which was engraved by McFardell, Lady Mary, who was not at all musical, is represented standing, holding upright the large lute called a theorbo ; beside her is an open harpsichord with a music book. She is dressed in white satin, with a very small lace cap. Lady Mary had a graceful figure and a prettily shaped head, but her complexion was colourless ; and the remarkable fierceness of her eyes, unshaded as they were by eyebrows, made people compare her to a white cat. For nearly forty years Lady Mary kept a journal which she sent week by week to her sister, the Countess of Strafford; and after this lady's death in 1785 she sent it to Lord Strafford until his death in 1791, when it seems to have ceased. Part of the manuscript has been privately printed by the Earl of Home, who has inherited it from his grandfather, Lady Mary's great-nephew, and from this portion the following extracts, relating to Lady Mary's travels, have been taken by the kind permission of Lord Home.

Lady Mary Coke's first visit to the Continent was in the summer of 1763. Her vessel lost the tide, and she had to be landed on the beach four or five miles from Calais. She writes to her sister :

I was forced to walk all that way over very uneven Bands covered with pebbles that cut so many holes in my shoes and stockings that my poor feet suffered very much, and notwithstanding my courage (of which you know I have a good deal), I was obliged to sit down twice on the sands, not able to bear the pain.

When at last, with much pain and difficulty, Lady Mary reached Calais, she could not put her feet to the ground. After a rest she proceeded to Brunswick, where she was received by the Hereditary Princess, sister of George the Third. She received a message that the Hereditary Princess, Augusta, wore rouge by desire of her husband, and therefore requested Lady Mary to do the same. However, Lady Mary begged to be excused, and in spite of this refusal was received with every attention and kindness. In 1767 Lady Mary visited Belgium, and went on to the Rhine. At Bonn she visited the Elector of Cologne, and was much struck by the magnificence of his palace. There was an embroidered bed which the King of Prussia had declined to sleep in because it was so fine; it had cost twenty thousand pounds, and the alcove in which it stood was ‘intire gold.' The floor of this room was ' a very fine picture of inlaid woods, with palm-trees, elephants, and beasts and birds, all very natural.' At Bonn Lady Mary embarked in' a yacht consisting of three rooms and a very fine deck railed round.' The boat was drawn by horses, starting at four in the morning, and going on till ten at night, resting twice during the day. It was furnished with a bed, table, chairs, provisions, six bottles of wine, crockery, and glass; and, although a violent thunderstorm wetted everything, Lady Mary enjoyed the voyage to Mayence. From thence she drove in her coach to Hanau, where she was received by the Landgravine, and taken out in a carriage called a wurst, or sausage. In this vehicle, which was drawn by six ' spotted' horses (probably piebalds) there was one long narrow seat down the middle, and the passengers sat either astride or back to back. Lady Mary thought it a very agreeable equipage.' At Worms, Lady Mary was surprised by the collection of gems in the palace of the Elector of Mayence. There was one clock of gilt-bronze, decorated with flowers of Sèvres china, the hands made of rubies and diamonds, a figure of the sun in diamonds, and another of the moon in sapphires and diamonds ; & large cup made of an emerald, agate vases set with precious stones, and a collection of weapons made of gold and silver, with a swordbelt of diamonds: At the dinner to which Lady Mary was invited, pipes brought through the floor caused jets d'eau to play above the table so as to cool the air in the room. The collection of pictures, gems, and what Lady Mary calls' anticks,’ filled several large rooms, in each of which the Elector placed one chair, so that the single visitor admitted at a time might view the treasures in comfort. Amongst them were several very tall flower-pots filled with flowers modelled in gold and silver. Lady Mary travelled homewards from Strasburg,

and in Paris she was introduced by Horace Walpole to his aged friend, Madame du Deffand. Although Madame du Deffand was totally blind, Lady Mary noticed the remains of great beauty, and she describes her manner as the easiest and most agreeable she had ever met with

In 1769 Lady Mary Coke was in Geneva, and wished to call upon Voltaire. She writes to her sister :

Monsieur Voltaire is not upon good terms with almost anybody here, and it was necessary to know whether the visit would be agreeable. He sent meword he should be very much flattered by my visit. The house (Ferney) is beautifully situated, commanding a very extensive prospect over a fine country ; his apartment very pretty and elegantly fitted up. [Voltaire settled at Ferney in 1758.] Here one of his secretaries came to make me a compliment in his namo, saying he had not slept all night, which was the reason he was not ready. A little time after Monsieur Voltaire made his appearance, dressed in a flowered silk Waistcoat and nightgown, a dark periwig without powder, slippers, and a cap in his hand. He made his compliment to me in English. He desired to show me his garden, which in the dress he was in, at seventy-six years of age and complaining of the weight of those years, I thought dangerous, and desired he Wald not think of going, but I could not prevent him. When we returned to the house a breakfast was prepared, and he then showed me the box the Empress of Russia [Catherine the Second] had sent him. She turned it [in ivory] herself. 'Twas set in gold and lined with the same ; on the top her picture set in very fine diamonds. I told him I thought it the best action of her life, confessing I was no admirer of that great lady's, but that I thought her perfectly in the right to endeavour to make him her friend. He smiled, but made no answer. I stayed an hour and a half, and took my leave very well satisfied with my reception.

Lady Mary was very anxious to meet the Comtesse de Vance, great-grand-daughter of Madame de Sévigné. Unfortunately the lady had lately died, but Lady Mary determined to visit the Château de Grignan. She writes from Nismes in March 1770 :

I left Avignon in a violent storm of rain and wind, which made the passage of the Rhone very disagreeable. I was obliged to pass it twice to get into the road that leads to the Pont du Gard, which was my first object, and a noble one it is. Luckily the rain had ceased and admitted of my getting out of my coach and walking over. I wished to have gone over the top arches [180 feet from the ground and 870 feet long], but though I have no fears and am a tolerable walker upon rocks, I found it was not to be attempted. From thence I came to Nismes, where there are several very great antiquities ; the principal, the Amphitheatre, and the Maison Quarrée, but neither the one nor the other preserved as they ought to be ; they have built a church in the inside of the Maison Quarrée, the lower gallery in the Amphitheatre serves for the habitation of several poor people, and the inside is built full of houses. It grieved me to see such noble remains so little regarded. To-morrow I set out for the Château de Grignan. I am told it is a very bad road, but nothing of that kind alarms me. I wish, however, to arrive as early as I can, as I carry a letter which is to procure me a lodging in the Castle, and as the beds may not have been lain in for some time 'twill be necessary to have them aired.

The condition of the road had not been exaggerated. Lady Mary was taken out of her way, she paid double, and thought her coach

« PredošláPokračovať »