« PredošláPokračovať »
ought : but the a Spirit 1l maketh intercefsion for us
with gronings which cannot be uttered.
uttered. 27. And he that 5 searcheth the hearts, knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, * because [Or, that] he maketh intercession for the faints, according to the will of God.
28. And we know that all things work together d for good, to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his (1) purpose. 29. For whom he did
at Zech., 12. 10. I will pour ried away Captive of Judah, whom upon the House of David, and up- I have sent out of this place for on the Inhabitants of Jerusalem, their good. Pfal. 119.71. It is good the Spirit of Grace and of Supplicaó for me that I have been afflicted. tims, and they shall look upon mes -Rom.9. 11. Not of works, whom they have pierced - + Eph. but of him that calleth. :: 2 Tim. 6. 18. Praying always with all 1.9. Who hath saved us, and called Prayer and Supplication in the Spi- us with an holy Calling, not acrit. — Jude ver. 20.--Praying in cording to our Works, but accordthe holy Ghost.
1oing to his own Purpose and Grace 27.
t i Chron. 28.9. + Pfal. which was given us in Christ Je7.9. t Jer. 11. 20.
+ Jer. 17
sus. 10. + Rev. 2. 23. See on Acts
ff See Exod. 33. 12. Mo
ses laid unto the Lord, See, thou c'+ 1 Joh 5. 14. This is the 15 fayft unto me, Bring up this Peo. Confidence that we have in him, ple: and thou hast not let me know that if we ask any thing according to
whom thou wilt send with me. bis Will, he heareth us.
Yet thou hast said, I know thee by 28. d' Gen. 52. 20. As for you, Name, and thou hast alfofound Grace ye thought Evil against me; but 20 in my Sight. Jer. 1. 5. Before I God meant it unto good, to bring formed thee in the Belly, I knew to pass, as it is this Day, to save thee - t Rom. 11.2. God hath noc much people alive. Jer. 24. 5. cast away his People which he foreThus faith the Lord, the God of knew.- + i Pet. 1, 2, Ele&t acIfrael, Like these good Figs, fo will 25 cording to the Fore knowledge of God I acknowledge them that are car
the () Some have fancied that this and the following Verses prove, that God, from all Eternity, decreed some particular Persons to Happiness, in such a Sense, as necessarily infers, that the much greater Part of Mankind are doomed to Misery. But this Opinion is fo contrary to the natural Notions which God has impressed of himself upon our Minds, and to many plain Texts of Scripture, (See the Nore on Joh. 10. 15.) that it cannot be admitted. The purpose of God with respet to the Salvation of Man, seems to be his determining to save in and through Jesus Christ, all, who upon the Preaching of the Gospel, should receive and embrace it, and comply with the Terms on which Salvation is offered, living a fober, righteous, and godly Life. These he fore-knew, ar fore-approved; Thele, and these only he Predeftinated to be conformed to the image of his Son; These he called, and they coming at his Call, and living up to the Terms of Salvation, he will jiftifie, or pardon ; and thefe, in due cime, he will glorifie and make happy 'wain himself
foreknow, she also did predestinate to be in conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the (1) first-born a. i a
2 Pet. 1.4.
the Father, through fan&tification that created him. + Phil. 3. 21. of the Spirit unto Obedience. Who shall change our vile Body, See on Mạc. 7. 23. and 2 Tim. 2. that it may be fashioned like unto 19.
his glorious Body.- t 1 Joh.3.2. 8 + Eph. 1.5,11. Having prede- s We know that when he shall apfinated us unto the Adoption of pear, we shall be like him. See on Children by Jesus Christ. In whom also we have obtained an In. i i Cor. 15. 20. Now is Chrift heritance, being predestinated ac- risen from the Dead, and become cording to the Purpose of him who 1o the first fruits of them that flept. worketh all things after the Coun- Acts 26. 23. That Christ should fel of his own Will.
suffer, and that he should be the + Joh. 17. 22. The Glory which forft that should rise from the Dead. thou gavest me, I have given them.- f Col. L 15, 18. Who is the Iti 2 Cor. 3.18. But we all with 0-15 mages of the invisible God, the pen Face, beholding as in a Glafs Piri-born of every Creature. He is
First the Glory of the Lord, are changed the Head of the Body the Church: into the same Image from Glory to who is the beginning, the First-born Glory, even as by the Spirit of the from the Dead, that in all things Lird. 2 Cor. 4. 11. For we which he might have the Pre-eminence. live, are alway delivered unto + Heb. 1. 6. Again, when he bring. Death for Jesus fake, that the Life eth' in the Firft-begotten into the alfo of Jesus might be made manifest World, he faith, And let all the in our Body. Cor. 15. 49. As we Angels of God worship him. have born ihe Image of the earthy, 25 + Rev. 1. 5. And from Jesus Christ we sha 1 also bear the Image of the --the first-begotten of the Dead:havenly. Col. 3. 4. When Christ Rev. 3. 14. -These things faith who is cur Life shall appear, then the Amen, the faithful and true Mall ye also appear with him in Glo. | Witness, the beginning of the Creary. Col. 3. 10. And have put on 30tion of God. Pfal. 89. 27. I will the new Man, which is renewed in make him my first-born, higher Knowledge, after the Image of him than the Kings of the Earth.
(1) There are two Interpretations of these Expressions, First-boru among many Brethren, first-born of every Crealure, or of the whole Creation, &c. First, That our Lord was before all things, that he had a Being before any created Being;, he was before all Creatures both in Duration and Dignity; for lo he must of Necessity be, if all things were created by him. Secondly, Thefe Expreslions may fignifie, that our blero fed Saviour is Heir and Lord of the whole Creation, The Greek Word, Col. 1. 18. and Rev. 3. 14. translated Beginning, is frequently used to signifie the Principle and efficient Cauli, and then the Meaning of the former Place is, that our Lord is the Principle and efficient Cause of the Resurrection of the Dead; and of the latter, that he is the Principle and efficient Cause of the Creation, Arch-bishop Tillotson, in his first Sermon on Joh. 1: 14. which was published by himself, establishes these Interpretations, but he preforsihe latter. I shall refer the Reader to the Sermon it felf; as also co an Esay for a new Trailation of the Bible, Part II. Chap IV. Seet. 11.
mong many brethren. 30. Moreover, whom he did predeftinate, them he k also called: and whom he called, them he 'also justified: and whom he justified, them he also
glorified. 31. What shall we then say to these things? n if God be for us, who can be against us? 32. He that • spared 1100 his own Son, but p delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? 33. Who shall lay any thing to the charge of Gods elečt ? 9 It is God that justifieth: 34. Who is he that ' condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh u intercession for us. 35. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword ? 36. (As it
k Rom. 1. 6. Among whom with me? Let us stand together: are ye also the Called of Jesus Christ. who is mine Adverfary? Let him Rom: 9. 24. Even us whom he hath
10 me. Behold, the called, not of the Jews only, but al- Lord God will help me, who is he fo of the Gentiles. Eph. 4. 4.
Eph. 4. 4. 5that shall condemn me ?- of Rev. There is one Body, and one Spirit, 12. 10, 11. Now is come Salvation even as ye are called in one Hope and Strength, and the Kingdom of of your Calling. Heb. 9. 15. For our God, and the Power of his this Cause he is the Mediator of Christ : for the Accuser of our the New Testament, that by means 19 Brethren is cast down, which acof Death, they which are called, cused them before our God Day might receive the Promise of eter- and Night. And they overcame nal Inheritance.
by the Blood of the Lamb.1. i Cor. 6.11. Such were some 34.' Job 34. 29. When he givof you : but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are in the field in as eth Quietness, who then can make
justified the Name of the Lord Jesus, and
s † Mar. 16. 19, by the Spirit of our God.
+ Heb. i. 3. * Heb. 8. 1. | Heb, in † Eph. 2. 6. And hath raised
See on Mat. 22. 44. us up together, and made us fit to- u † Heb. 7. 25. He is able to gether in heavenly Places in Christ fave them to the uttermost, that Jesus.
come unto God by him, seeing he 31. nt Numb. 18. 9.
ever liveth to make Intercession for Acts 18.10.
them. + Heb. 9. 24. Christ is not 32.
vt Rom. 5. 6, 10. For when 25 entred into the holy Places made we were without Strength, in due with Zands, which are the Figures of time Christ died for the Ungodly. the true; but into Heaven it self, If when we were Enemies, we were to appear in the Presence of reconciled to God by the Death of
God for us.
1 Tim. 2. 5. There is his Son: much more being recon- 30 one God, and one Mediator between ciled, we shall be saved by his God and Men, the Man Christ Je. Life.
fus. 1 Joh. 2. 1. “Ifany Mantin, P See on Rom. 4 25.
we have an Advocate with the Fa. 33. 9 + Ifa. so.8, 9. He is near ther, Jesus Christ the righteous. that justifieth me, who will contend 35
15 Trouble ?
+ Col. 3. I.
I 2. 2.
is written, 2 For thy fake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as theep for the slaughter.) 37. Nay in all these things we are is more than conquerors, through him that loved us. 38. For I am persivaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come. 39. nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
С Н А Р. IX.
so bearing me a witness in the holy Ghost, 2. • That I have great heaviness and continual forrow in my heart. 3. For I could 'c - wish that my self were
* accursed 36. 1 * Pfal. 44. 22. Yea, for thy believeth that Jesus is the son of fake are we killed all the Day long God ? + Rev. 12. 11. They overwe are counted as Sheep for the came him by the Blood of the Slaughter. ; Cor.4. 9. I think that Lamb. God hath fet forth us the Apostles s. 38. Eph. 1. 20, 21. -And
5. C+ Jast, as it were appointed to death.-- fet him Chrift] -Far above all 1 Cor. 15. 31. -I die daily. 7. 2 Principality, and Power, and Might, Cor.
4. 10, 11, Always bearing a. and Dominion, and every Name that bour in the Body, the Dying of the is named. + Eph. 6. 12. We Lord Jesus. We which live, are 19 wrestle not against Flesh and Blood, Rlway delivered unto death for Jesus but against Principalities, against Sake. 2 Cor. 1. 5, 10. As the Powers, against the Rulers of the Sufferings of Christ abound in us, so Darkness of this World + Col. our Consolation also aboundeth by 1. 16. By him were all things creChrist. Who delivered us from so 15 ated that are in Heaven, and that great a Death, and doch deliver. are in Earth, visible, and invisible, 2 Cor. 11. 23. --In Deaths oft. whether they be Thrones, or DomiCor. 6.9. -As dying, and behold, nions, or Principalities, or Powers. we live
+ Col. 2. 15. Having spoiled Prin37. 5 * 1 Cor. 15. 57. Thanks 20 cipalities and Powers, he made a be to God, which giveth us the Shew of them openly, triumphing Victory, through our Lord Jesus over them in it. † i Pet. 3 .22. Christ. † 2 Cor. 2. 14. Thanks be Angels, and Authorities, and Powe to God, which always causech us ers being made subject to him. to triumph in Chrift.-- + : Joh. 4. 25
CH A P. IX. 4. Ye are of God, little Children, 1. + 2 Cor: 1.23. + 2 Cor. 11. and have overcome them: because 31. f Gal. 1. 20. of Phil, 1. 8. See greater is he that is in you, than on Rom. 1.9. he that is in the World. t 1 Joh.
+ Rom. 10. I. 9.4, 5. Whatsoever is born of God 30 3. .c + Exod. 32. 32. Yet now, overcometh the World: and this is if thou wilt forgive their Sin, if the Victory that overcometh the World, not, blot me,
pray thee, out of the even our Faith. Who is he that Book which thou hast written overcometh che World. but he that
• * accursed [Or, separated] from Christ for my brethreng my kinsmen, according to the flesh: 4. Who are Ifraelites; to whom pertaineth the f adoption, and the glory, and the b* covenants [Or, testaments], and the i giving of the law, and the service of God, and the * promites; 5. Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh, Christ came, m who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. 6. " Not as though the word of God hath taken none effet. For they are not all Israel, which are of Ilrael: 7. P Neither because they are the feed of Abraham,
à See the Note on Nat. 17. 20.
unto you glad Tidings, how that 4. + Deut. 7.6. Thou art a ho- the Promise which was made unto ly People unto the Lord thy God : the Fathers, God hath fulfilled the The Lord thy God hath chosen fame.. + Rom. 3. 2. Unto thee to be a special People unto him- şthem (the Jews] were committed felf, above all People that are up- the Oracles of God. + Eph. 2. 12. on the Face of the Earth.
Aliens from the Common-wealth * + Exod. 4. 22. Thou shalt say of Israel, and Strangers from the unto Pharaoh, Thus faith the Lord, Covenants of Promise. Israel is my son, even my first born. s. 1.: Luk. 3:23. f Rom. 1. 3. Deut. 10. 15. Only the Lord had See on Mat. 1. j. and Joh. 1. 14. a delight in thy Fathers to love † Jer. 23. 6. -This is his them, and he chose their Seed after Name whereby he shall be called, them, even
you above all People, The Lord our righteousness. + Joh. as it is this Day.. † Jer. 31.9. – 151. 1. - The Word was God. Aas I am a Father to Israel, and Ephraim 10. 36. -Preaching Peace by Jeis my first-born.
fus Christ, (he is Lord of all) FActs 8 Sam. 4. 22. The Glory is 20. 28. Take heed therefore unto departed from Ifrael: for the Ark your felves, and to all the Flock, of God is taken. 1 King. 8. 10,20-to feed the Church of God. 11. It came to pass when the Rom. 10. 12, 13. --The same Lord Priests were come out of the holy over all, is rich unto all that call Place, that the Cloud filed the House upon him. For whosoever fall of the Lord, so that the Priests call upon the Name of the Lord hall could nor stand to minister, be- 25 be saved. † Heb. 1. 8. Unto the cause of the Cloud : for che Glory Son he faith, Thy Throne, O God, of the Lord had filled the House of
is for ever and ever.--the Lord. Pfal. 63. 2. To see thy
6. n See on Rom. 3. 3. Power and thy Glory, so as I have o + Rom. 4. 12. The Father of seen thee in the Sanctuary.,
Circumcision to them who are not Aets 3. 25. Ye are the Chil- of the Circumcision only, but also denn of the Prophets, and of the walk in the Steps of that Faith of Covenant which God made with our our Father Abrahain, which he had Fathers, saying unto Abraham, being yet uncircumcised. See on And in thy Seed shall all the Kin-35 Rom. 4. 28, 29. dreds of the Earth be blessed.
† Gal. 4. 23. He who was + Pfal. 147. 19. See on Rom. of the Bond woman was born after 3.2.
the Flesh : but he of the Free-wo. A&s 13. 32, 33. We declare man was by Promise.