« PredošláPokračovať »
God hath set forth * us the apostles laft, ás [Or, us the laft apostles, as] it were ' appointed to death. í For we are made
1 & m* 1pectacle [Gr. Theatre] unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
10. We are n fools for Chrifts lake, but ye are wise in Chrift ; . we are o weak, but ye. are. Itrong.. ye art honourable, but we are despised. li. Even unto this prefent hour, we p both hunger, and thirst, and are 9 naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling-place; 1 2. Ard labour, working with our own hands. being reviled, we bless : being persecuted, we fuffer it: . 13., u Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the off-scouring of all things unto this day. 14. a
I write not these things to fhame you, but as my beloved fons I warn you. 19. For though you have ten thousand inftruEters in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers : for in Chrift Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. 16. Where fore I beátech you, be ye d followers of me.
17. For this .
cause 9. 1. Pfal.-44. 22. f 21 Cor. t A&ts. 23. 2. See on Joh. 4. 11. See on Rom. 8. 36. . .
22. M + Heb: 103. Ye were'made
I The á gazing-fuck, both by Reproaches, 2.9 2 Thes, 3. 8. See on and Affiliations.
S Acts 18. 3, 10. n. Als-14. i 8. † 2 King., 13. Luk. 6. 28. Luk 23 9. 11. See on A&ts 26. 24.
34 | Acts 7. 69. it Rom, 12 • t 2 Cor. 13. 2. See on i. Cor.
See on Mat. 5. 44. 2. 3:
at Lam, 3.45. Thou hast made D' Acts 29. 9, 11, --- Paulio us as the off-scouring and refuse in preached unto them, ready to de-, the midst of the People. part on the morrow, and continued
I!. You bis Speech until Midnight. When he know how we exhorted, and comhad brcken Bread and eaten, forted, and charged every one of and talked a long while, even till is you as a: Father doth his Chil, break of Day, so he departed. + 2 dren. Cor. 4. 8. We are troubled on eve
Ć 1$. f Aets 18.11. He conti
15. ry side, yet not distressed ;, we are nued there [ac. Corinth] a Year and perplexed, but not in despair. 12 fix Months, teaching the Word of Cor. il.
27. In wearinefs and 20 God among them. f Gal. 4. 19. My painfulness, in watchings often, in little Children, of whom I travail bunger and third, in fastings ofren, in Birth again until Chrift be in cold and nakednes. Phil. 4.
formed in you.
+ Philem. ver. 12. I know how to be abafed, and 19. I beseech thee for my Son OneI know how to abound: every 25 limus, whom I have begotten in where, and in all things I am in. my Bonds.'+ Jam. 1. 18. Of his structed, both to be full, and to be own will begåt he us with the Word bungry, both to abound, and to
of Truth Suffer need!
16. dt · Thef. 3. 9. See od 4. Job 22.6. Thou hast -strip-301 Cor. 11. Lon fed the Naked of their clothing,
cause have I sent unto you o Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you 4 into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I - teach every, where i in every church., .,18. Now some are puffed , up as though I would not come to you. 19. But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will
, and will know, not . the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power. 20. For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. 21. What will ye? - Shall I come unto you with a rod, or i
n love, and in the spirit of meekness?
CHAP V. T is reported commonly that there is fornication among
yoy, and such fornication as is not so much as a named amongst the Gentiles, that one should have his fathers wife. 2:- And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mournthat he that hath done this deed, might be taken a
17 AQs 19. 22. See on See on A&s 18. 21. A&s 16. 1.
+ 1 Thef. 1. 5. See on + 2 Tim. 1. 2. Unto Timo
i Cor: 2. 4.' thy, my own son in the Faith.
+ 2 Cor. 10. 1,2 Tim. 1. 3. To Timothy, my, s Cor. 13. 10.
See on 2 Cor. L. dearly, beloved son. Tit. 1.4. To 23:
CH A P. V. Ji Titus mine omn Son after the com- 1 ? : Eph. 5.3. But Fornication mon Faith.
and all Uncleannels, or Covecouf pod Cor. 11, 2. Now I praise ness, let it not be once named as you, Brethren, that you remember 10 mongst you, as becometh Saints. me in all things.
+ Lev. 18. 8. The Nakedness h
- Cor. 7. 17. As God hath of thy Fathers Wife fhalt thou nor distributed to every Man, as the uncover: it is thy Fathers Wife. Lord hash called every one, To let + Deut. 27. 20. Cursed be he that him walk: 'and fo ordain I in all 15 lieth with his Fathers Wife ; be
caufe he uncovereth his Fathers 1 Cor. 14. 33:
See on 1. : Skirt : and all the People thall say,
Amen. 19. k* A&ts 19. 21:-Paul pur
2 Cor. 7. 12. Though I posed in Spirit, when he kadipaffed wrote' unto you, I did it nor for through Macedonia and Achaia, to go his cause that had done the Wrong, to Jerusalem 1 Cor. 16. 5. nor for his caufe chac had suffered Now I will come unto you when I the Wrong, but that our Care for fhall pass through Macedonia - 2 you in the Sight of God might apCor. 1. 16. (I was minded) to pass
pear: by you into Macedonia, and to come d. Lev, 20. 11, The Man'that again out of Macedonia unto you, lieth with his father's wife, hath and of you to be brought on my uncovered his Fathers Nakednefs : way toward Judec.
?both of them fhall furely be pret to Jam. 4. 15.30 death; their Blood shall be upon them.
+ Rom. 15. 32
way from among you. 3. For I verily as e absent iri body,
. but present in spirit, have * judged [or, determined] already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed; 4. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, f with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 's. To (1) deliver fuch an one un
1 to s Satan for the destruction of the flesh; that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 6. Your h glorying is not good: Know ye no: that a i little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 7. Purge out therefore the * old
k leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleaved. For
* Col. 2. §. See on i Thes. Heaven is like unto Leaven, whici 2. 17
a Woman took and hid in three 4.5+ Mat: 16. 19. † Joh. 20. Measures of Meal till the whole 33. See on Mar. 18 18.
was leavened. ; Cor. 15.33..-E. $ Job 2: 6. The Lord said un- Svil communications corrupt good to Satan, Behold, he is in thine Hand, Manners. t Gal.s. 9. A little Leabut fave his Life.: :: Acts 26. 18. ven leavenech the whole Lump, i To open their Eyes, and to turn Tim. 2. 17. Their Word will eat them from Darkness untó Light, as doth a Canker: of whom is Hyand from the Power of Satan unto 10 meneus and Philetus. God i Tim. 1.20. Whom (Hy- 9. k Exod. 12. 15. Seven Days mencus and Alexander] I have deliver. shäll ye eat unleavened Bread, ea ed unto Søtan, that they may learn ven the first day ye fhall put away not to blaspheme.
Leaven out of your Houses : for 6. 5 + Jám. 4.16. Now yé te. 15 whosoever eateth leavened Bread joice in your Boastings : all such from the first day until the seventh rejoicing is ruil,
Day, that Soul shall be cut off i Mar. 13. 33. The Kingdom of from Ifrael.
6) This feems to have been done by a Power peculiar to the Apostles, and not the effe&t of a common A&t of Discipline. Some of the best Exo pofitors are of Opinion, that some bodily Diftemper was inflicted by the Devil on the Perlons who were put under this Sentence. For this Rea. son it is called, Delivering unto Satan, who is ever ready to punish and torment Mankind. The Design of God is, that the Perfons thus pu. nished might be brought to Repentance ; for the following Words are, for the deftruction of the filesh, that the Spirit might be saved in the Day of the Lord Jesus; which the fuffering Person might be, on his true Repentance. I am inclined to think, that the remitting and retaining lins, Joh. 20. 33. relates to this matter ; and that what St. John 1 Epift. s. 16. says of the
; $in unto Death, for which he would not say the Church fhould pray, refpe&ts those who were under this Čensure. The Sins of some were probably attended with such aggravating. Circumstances, that no Prayers would avail for their being delivered from Temporal Death; though from eternal Punishments they might on their true Repentance be
even ' Christ our m passover is * sacrificed [Or, sain] for us. 8. Therefore n let us keep * the feast [Or, holy day] 1100 with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincérity and truth. 9. I wrote unto you in an epiftle, not to company with fornicators. 10. Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go Pout of he world. 11. But now I have written unto you, (1) not to keep company, 9 if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator,or covetous,or an idolater,or a railer,or a drunkard, or an extortioner, with such an one, no not to eat.
12. For what have I to do to judge s them also that are withou? do not ye judge u them that are within? 13. But them that are without, God judgeth. Therefore a put away from among your selves that wicked person.
1 + Ifa. 53.7. -He is brought Mar. 18. 17. as a Lamb to the Slaughter, – Joh. r. Gal. 2. 12. Before that cer. 1, 29. -Behold the Lamb of God tain came from James, he did eat which taketh away the Sin of the with the Gentiles : but when they World. t 1 Cor. 15. 3. Christ di- s were come he withdrew, and sepas ed for our Sins according to the rated himself, fearing them which Scriptures.
were of the Circumcision. .:Joh. 19. 14. It was the Pre
† Col. 4. 5
ti Thef. paration of the Palover.
4. 12. t i Tim. 3. 7. See on 8." Exod. 12. 15. The Words to Mar. 4. 11.
u. Cor. 6.
1, 3,4 9.° Cor. 6. 14. Eph. s. †
13. a † Deut 13. $. That 11. + 2 Thes. 3. 14. See on Mat. Prophet, or that
that dreamer of
Dreams, shall be pur to death. 10. P.: Joh 17.15. I pray not is --So shalt thoù put the evil s. that thou shouldest take them out of way from the midst of thee. the World, but that thou shouldest The like Expression, So, wc.
, keep them from the Evil.
occurs, : Deut. 17 7. and † Deut. + Rom. 16. 17. t 2 Thef. 22, 21, 22, 24: 3. 14. f 2 Joh. ver. 1o. See on 20
under Ver. 7.
delivered. By this Power Ananias and Saphira were punished with
See Dr.Whitby on 1 Cor. 4. 21. and i Cor. 5.4.
(1) It may be for the Interest, and seems to be the Duty of serious Chriftians, and may prevent their being infected by vil Examples, not to cultivate a voluntary and needlifs Acquaintance and Friendship with ill Livers ; but that we, in the preient State
are not obliged to forbear all Conversation with them. See Ms. Kettlewell's Discourfe on the Sacrament, Chap. VI.
CH A P. VI.
you, having a matter againft another, go to Taw before the unjust, and not before the saints? 2. Do ye not know that the * faints fhall judge the world? and if the world fhall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3. Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life. 4.
If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life? set them to judge who are least efteemed in the church. 5. I speak to your fhame, Is it so, that there is not a wise man amongst you? no not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren? 6. But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers. therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to Jaw one with another: why do ye not -rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer your selves to be det frauded ? 8. Nay, you do, wrong and defraud, d and that your brethren. 9. Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not f inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived :
neither 2. a 1. Pfal. 49: 14. † Dan. 7: ousness, Idolatry, Witchcraft
, Ha. 22. TLuk. 22. 30† Rev 7. 25. tred, Variance, Emulations,Wrath, + Rev. 3:21. 4 Rev. 20.4. See on Strife, Seditions, Herefies, Envy. Mat. 19. 28.
ings, Murders, Drunkenness, Re:, Cor. 5.12.
vellings, and such like: Of the 7. † Prov. 20. 22. † Luk. 6. which I tell you before, as I have 29.. † Rom. 12. 17, 19. t 1 Thef. also told you in time.paft, that they s. 15. See on Mat. 5. 39, 40. which do such things shall not in8. d | See on i Thes. 6.
herit the Kingdom of God. t Eph. 9. I Cor. -3 3. Whereas
$:3, 5. But Fornication, and all there is among you Envying, and Uncleanness, or Covetoufnefs, let
, Serife, and Division, are ye not it not be once named amongst you carnal, and walk as Men ? See on as becometh Saints. For this ye
know, that no Whoremonger, nor f Joh. 3: 3, 5. Verily verily, Iiç unclean Perfon, nor covetous Man,
15 say unto thee, Excepe a Man lewho is an Idolater, hatch any Inke born again, he cannot see the King. ritance in the Kingdom of Chrift
, and dom of God. Except a Man be of God. Col. 3.5,6. Mortifie there: born of Water, and of the Spirit, fore your Members which are uphe cannot enter into the Kingdom of zo on Earth ; Fornication, Unclean: God. i 1 Cor. 15.50, This I say, “ness, inordinate : Affection, evil Brethren, that Flesh and Blood Concupiscence, and Coverousness, Cannot inherit the Kingdom of God; which is Idolatry: for which neither doth corruption inherit in: things fake, the Wrath of God comet la corruption. Gal. 5. 19, 20, † 21. on the Children of Disobedience. Now the Works of the Flesh are
Heb. 12. 14. Follow Peace with manifest, which are these, Adultery, all Men, and Holiness, without Fornication, Uncleannefs, Lascivi.
Rev. 21. 27.