Arcadia Publishing, 2010 - 127 strán (strany)
Fur trade posts were established along the Upper Mississippi River between St. Anthony and St. Cloud during the first part of the 19th century. One of these trading posts was established by Pierre Bottineau on the bluffs just north of the mouth of the Elk River between Orono (upper town) and Elk River (lower town) in 1850. As the fur trade slowed, the logging industry took over and numerous sawmills sprung up along the rivers. Ard Godfrey, well known in the milling industry, established the first mill in Orono in 1851. As the township of Elk River grew, the population jumped from 7 people in 1849 to 134 in 1857. Ponds and gullies were drained and filled to make room for more businesses. In Elk River, learn about the Civil War soldiers, the dynamiting of the Blind Pig Saloon, the murder of Deputy Sheriff Ed Foley, devastating fires, and the Boxcar Murder, told through pictures and newspaper clippings.
Čo hovoria ostatní - Napísať recenziu
Na obvyklých miestach sme nenašli žiadne recenzie.
Bridges Dams and Mills
į ri Wheels Rails and the River
Up in Smoke
Worship and Learning
Iné vydania - Zobraziť všetky
Adams advertisement Anthony Ard Godfrey Babcock Bank of Elk became bicycle Blanchett Block born Bottineau bridge Brothers building built Cemetery Charles Church Company completed Davis depot Dickey downtown early Elk River enlisted farm fire flour mill followed Frank Frye George Henry High School Houlton House Infantry Jackson Avenue January John Jones June known Lake land later Lewis lived located logs looked Main Street Mansur married mill MINN Minneapolis Minnesota Historical Society Mississippi River Moores moved to Elk Nickerson October opened original Orono photograph shows photograph was taken pictured placed Posing POTATO purchased railroad Regiment remained Robert sawmill served Sherburne County Sherburne History Center shown side sold Staples TEAM third Thomas town tracks trade Trail train Trask unidentified White wife wounded