« PredošláPokračovať »
Municipal Council to' which, when formed, it shall be at once paid
6. A rental at the rate of 6 dollars per 100 square metres per annum on A and C lots, and of 2 dollars per 100 square metres per annum on B lots, shall be paid by the lot-holders to the Municipal Council, who, for the purpose of collecting and receiving such rents are empowered to act as the Agents of the Corean Government, and whose receipt for any rent shall be a valid acquittance.
Rent shall be payable from the date of sale, and the first payment pro ratâ for the remainder of the year, shall be made before the delivery of the title-deeds, and all subsequent payments shall be made on or before the 10th January in each year, in advance for such year.
7. Until the rent due on any lot for any year shall have been paid, the lot-holder concerned shall not be entitled to vote at any election for Municipal Councillor held in that year, or to be a candidate for the office of Municipal Councillor, or to exercise any of the other rights conferred upon him by these Regulations.
If the rent, as aforesaid, is not paid before the 1st February in any year, interest at the rate of 12 per cent. per annum will be levied as from the 1st January preceding. If the rent and interest are not both paid by the following 31st day of December, the Municipal Council is hereby empowered to and shall bring suit against the defaulter before his competent authorities; and in default of payment within the time prescribed by the Court, the Municipal Council shall move the said competent authorities to declare the land forfeit, and when judgment to that effect has been pronounced the Corean official shall within two months from the date of such judgment, by giving thirty days' notice in the manner detailed in Article 4 of these Regulations, dispose of the same by public auction. After deducting the amount of rent and interest due to date, the costs of the auction, and all fines or other sums owing from the late lot-holder to the Municipal Council, the Corean official shall hand over the balance, if any, to the said late lot-holder, or to those legally authorized to receive the same on his behalf or on behalf of his estate.
8. The Municipal Council shall within one week after the receipt. of the rent due on any lot or lots, pay over to the Corean authority appointed to receive the same a sum equivalent to 30 dollar cents per 100 square metres of the area rented, the remainder of the rent to be retained by the Council, and to form part of the municipal fund. In the case of overdue rent the proportional share of the interest recovered shall be paid over to the Corean authority at the same time with the Government rent.
9. The Corean Government shall permit no more Corean houses
to be erected within the limits of the foreign Settlement, or Corean interments to take place therein. Within one month after the sale of any lot, or after notice given by the Municipal Council of its intention to construct any road, the Corean Government shall cause all Corean houses and graves to be removed from such lot or such line of road. But all Corean huts and graves shall be removed from inside the limits of the foreign Settlement within two years from the date of these Regulations.
From and after the date of these Regulations no trees shall be felled on any unsold lot or line of road without the consent of the Municipal Council.
10. The Corean Government may reserve ground within the Settlement limits on which to erect Customs offices and go-downs, and residences for foreigners employed in the custom-house; but such ground shall be subject to the same obligations, as regards payment of rent, taxes, and the like, as other grounds of the same class.
Subject to these Regulations, Corean Government steam-ship Companies may acquire and hold lots within the Settlement limits on which to erect offices and go-downs.
The Government of any Treaty Power may acquire a suitable lot or lots for a Consulate on paying the upset price only; but such lot or lots shall be subject to the same obligations as regards payment of rent, taxes, and the like, as are other lots of the same class.
11. None but the Government, subjects, or citizens of the States, whose Representatives have signified their acceptance of these Regulations, shall be allowed to purchase or hold land in the foreign Settlement, or be granted title-deeds for lots within the said limits.
. 12. Title-deeds in form, as hereinafter set out, shall be issued in triplicate by the Corean official acting on behalf of the Corean Government, and the purchaser shall sign on the said triplicate titledeed the "Declaration" hereinafter mentioned. One of the triplicate deeds shall be retained by the Corean Government, another shall be delivered to the purchaser through his Consular authority, and the third shall be archived and registered in the office of the Municipal Council.
If a lot-holder desires to sell or transfer his lot, he shall *surrender the old title-deed to the Corean official to be cancelled, whereupon a new title-deed in the prescribed form and in triplicate shall be executed and issued, and the buyer or transferee shall sign and accept the new title-deed on the same conditions that applied to the original deed; but no new title-deeds shall be issued for any lot or part of any lot for which rent is at the time due. The new titledeeds in triplicate shall be distributed and archived as in the case of
the original deeds. A fee of 5 dollars for the new deeds shall be paid by the transferee to the Corean official.
Any lot-holder desiring to divide his lot into two or more parts for purposes of sale or otherwise, shall be at liberty to do so, and on surrendering his title-deed for the whole lot shall receive in exchange new and separate title-deeds for each sub-division as desired: provided always that no sub-divided part shall be less in area than the minimum laid down in Article 3 above; except that a lot-holder may sell to an adjacent lot-holder a portion of his lot, however small, with the understanding that if the part retained by him is less than 500 square metres he will not be entitled to vote for a member of the Municipal Council; and provided also that all title-deeds for subdivided lots shall be executed and delivered, signed, and accepted subject to the same conditions that apply to the titledeeds for whole and original lots. A fee of 5 dollars shall be paid to the Corean official for each new title-deed in triplicate issued for parts of lots.
All the parts of a sub-divided lot shall retain the number of the original lot as plotted on the official plan; but the parts shall be distinguished by letters: thus, the parts of lot X shall be numbered X, X, Xc, &c.
The holder of a title-deed for a sub-divided part of a lot shall be registered as a lot-holder, and shall have and enjoy the same rights and privileges as the registered holder of any undivided lot.
13. Within the space of two years from the date of the titledeeds of any whole or sub-divided lot, the purchaser must have erected buildings or made other improvements on the said lot to the value of not less than 250 dollars, and all buildings so erected must be covered with tiled, iron, felt, or other non-inflammable roofs. No thatched, wooden, or otherwise inflammable roof will be permitted.
In case no building shall have been erected or improvement made within the term specified and of the value stipulated above, the Municipal Council may proceed against the defaulter as provided in Article 7.
Provided always that lots reserved by the Corean Government or acquired by the Government of any Treaty Power shall not be subject to the present stipulation.
14. The Municipal Council shall consist
(1.) Of the Kamni, or a Corean local official of suitable rank; (2.) Of the local Consuls;
(3.) Of not more than three members elected by the registered lot-holders.
No two of the elective members shall be of the same nationality. Only registered lot-holders shall be eligible for election; but no lotholder whose rents, rates, and taxes, are not fully paid can be put in
nomination. The election shall be held in the month of December in each year according to rules to be agreed upon by the foreign Representatives. Each lot-holder, whatever may be the number of lots held by him, shall have one vote only. Proxy voting shall not be allowed, and where a lot is held in the name of a Government, Corporation, or firm, the authorized Representative of such Government, Corporation, or firm, shall, for all purposes of this Article, be considered as the registered holder of the said lot.
15. The Municipal Council, composed as provided in Article 14 above, is hereby constituted and declared to be a Corporation, with power to use a common seal, and to contract, and to sue and be sued, under its corporate name of the "Municipal Council of the foreign Settlement of Chinnampo," and all suits and proceedings Mokpo,"
against it shall be commenced and prosecuted in a Court composed of the Corean Minister for Foreign Affairs and the foreign Representatives in Seoul, and the decision of a majority of the said Court on a matter submitted to them shall be final.
The said Court shall have power to issue all writs and processes which may be necessary in the premises, and to appoint officers to carry out and execute the same, and the property and funds of the Council shall be subject to any judgment that may be rendered by the said Court.
16. The Municipal Council shall have power
(1.) To choose its own officers and to regulate its own proceedings;
(2.) To select and appoint its own employés and servants, and to regulate their duties, and to dismiss them;
(3.) To make roads, and to construct such drains, bridges, embankments, and other public works, within the limits of the Settlement, as shall not be specially exempted, and to keep the same in repair: provided always that the cost of erecting retaining walls shall be borne by the lot-holder concerned, where the established grade of any road shall be altered by the Council at the request of the lot-holder;
(4.) In conjunction with the Corean officials, and after two months' notice publicly given, to change the course, or to add to, or diminish the number, width, or grade of any of the roads in the Settlement, whether marked or not marked on the official plan referred to in Article 1: provided that no road shall be less than 8 metres in breadth, and that any lot-holder affected shall have the right, within the said period of two months, to appeal to the Court, as constituted in Article 15;
(5.) To appoint and maintain an efficient police force;
(6.) To arrest and detain all persons acting in a disorderly
manner within the Settlement limits, and to take steps for their punishment by their own authorities;
(7.) To adopt measures for the proper lighting and cleaning of all thoroughfares, and the prevention of obstructions therein;
(8.) To provide for public wells and waterworks;
(9.) To make regulations for, and where necessary, to issue licences, with or without fees, to houses of entertainment of whatever description within the Settlement, and to all owners of wheeled vehicles plying for hire, as well as to pedlars or chair-bearers carrying on their trade within the Settlement or resorting regularly thereto;
(10.) To take measures for the preservation of public health and decency, to suppress gambling-houses and houses of ill-fame, and to prevent and abate all nuisances, including such as may arise from the pursuit of offensive trades, within the Settlement limits, and shall in no case permit the establishment of opium dens;
(11.) To prevent the erection or occupation of unsafe, inflammable, or unhealthy buildings, and to provide and maintain a fire department;
(12.) To erect and keep in repair such Municipal buildings as may be found necessary;
(13.) In case of need, to borrow money on the credit of the foreign Settlement, with the consent of the foreign Representatives, in consultation with the Corean Minister of Foreign Affairs;
(14.) To call special meetings, on fourteen days' notice, of the registered lot-holders for the transaction of special business specified on the notice of call;
(15.) To act as the Agent of the Corean Government in collecting the Settlement rents, and to give valid receipts for the
The Municipal Council may adopt general rules and bye-laws for enforcing and carrying out the powers herein granted to it, and may fix penalties not exceeding 25 dollars for every breach thereof. All such penalties shall be enforced by the authorities of the offenders, Coreans or foreigners, and shall be paid over to the Municipal Fund.
The cost of all work done and expenditure incurred by the Municipal Council shall be met and paid out of the Municipal funds. If such funds prove insufficient, the Municipal Council may impose and collect from time to time a tax on all lots and houses in the foreign Settlement in proportion to their then assessed value, provided that not more than one tax shall be assessed in each calendar year.
17. The form of title-deed and the declaration attached thereto shall be as follows: