Understanding Organized Crime
Jones & Bartlett Publishers, 28. 7. 2011 - 450 strán (strany)
Today, the world is facing an increasing impact from established organized crime, emerging transnational organized crime, and gangs that requires an understanding of who and what these organizations are and how they achieve their goals. Updated to include new and relevant research and statistics, Understanding Organized Crime, Second Edition provides students with a better understanding of how and why these criminal groups continue to dominate the world of crime and what law enforcement must do to address this threat.
Written by a leading expert in the field and based on his experience and academic research, Understanding Organized Crime, Second Edition is a comprehensive introduction to the subject and includes coverage of the types of organized crime, definitions of organized crime, why it continues to exist, and how it has evolved throughout history. Material covered includes the structure and hierarchy of each organization, their methods of operation, and the techniques and laws used by law enforcement to address the dynamic nature of domestic and transnational organized crime. Using the author's unique approach to the topic, students will learn about organized crime through the eyes of the criminal investigator, and how law-enforcement practitioners today are counteracting these criminal organizations.
New and Key Features of the Second Edition:
• Revised and updated to include new and relevant research, statistics, and case studies to help students understand the true nature of organized crime and the players involved.
• Chapter 5 (Mexican Drug Trafficking Organizations) has been updated to include the most recent information on new alliances and wars over territories and smuggling routes between established cartels and emerging organizations in Mexico.
• A new chapter, The Nexus of Transnational Organized Crime and Terrorism, addresses the increasing connections between terrorist groups and transnational organized crime, including new challenges facing governments and law enforcement in identifying and prosecuting these cooperative networks.
• Provides information outlining the new age of piracy that has resulted in the creation of task forces that focus on areas around the Gulf of Aden off the coast of Somalia.
• Additional and updated information is now included in the chapters on the Russian Mafia, the Italian-American Mafia, the Yakuza, and Outlaw Bikers.
*Microsoft PowerPoint slides
* Companion Website (secure) featuring:
Čo hovoria ostatní - Napísať recenziu
Na obvyklých miestach sme nenašli žiadne recenzie.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
An Introduction to Organized Crime
Evolution of Organized Crime and the Impact on Investigative Strategies and Law Enforcement
Commissions and Task Forces
Theories on the Continued Existence of Organized Crime
Theories Related to Law Enforcement Efforts
Colombian Drug Cartels
The Cali Cartel
American Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
The Big Four
Hispanic and African American Gangs
Major Statutes Legislation and Methods of Organized Crime Investigations
Mexican Drug Trafficking Organizations
The Russian Mafia
The Italian American Mafia
Other Mafia Groups
Triads and Tongs
Iné vydania - Zobraziť všetky
Abadinsky agencies alliances American Mafia areas arrested associates became become boss Cali cartel Chapter Chepesiuk Chicago cities club cocaine Colombian conspiracy continue cooperation corruption countries criminal activity criminal enterprises criminal organizations developed drug cartels drug trade drug trafficking ethnic extortion federal Finckenauer gambling global Gulf cartel heroin illegal illicit intelligence investigation involved Italian Ivankov Juárez cartel labor leaders legitimate businesses Los Zetas Luciano Mafia members major Medellín Medellín cartel membership Mexican drug Mexican DTOs Mexico money laundering murder narcotics National networks Nuevo Laredo OMGs organized crime activity organized crime groups organized crime members Plan Colombia police political prison profits prosecution prostitution racketeering Retrieved June RICO Russian Mafia Russian organized crime Sinaloa cartel smuggling statutes strategies structure success terrorist theory threat Tijuana cartel Tongs transnational organized crime Triads U.S. government U.S. law enforcement United violence Yakuza Yamaguchi-gumi York Zetas