Obrázky na stránke

466 OBITUARY.-Gen. Sir W.P.Gallwey.—Brig.-Gen. Walker. [May,

Island of St. Christopher, esq. He married Nov. 19, 1804, Lady Harriet Quin, only daughter of Valentine-Richard first Earl of Dunraven; and by her Ladyship, who survives him, had one son, now Sir William Payne Gallwey, Bart.; and three daughters, Fanny, Louisa, and Caroline.

tion consists of India and Government stock; but the land is also considerable, and is principally in the immediate vicinity of Plymouth. Lady Lopes bas £3000 a year, Roborough House, aud the town residence on St. Andrew's Terrace, with the furniture, &c. of both establishments, for life. The mansion and estate of Maristow have devolved on Sir Ralph Lopes. Large legacies are also left to all the other children of Sir M.'s sister; among whom are Mrs. Radcliffe, wife of the Rev. Walter Radcliffe, of Warleigh; Mrs. Barton, of St. Andrew's Terrace; and Mrs. Basden, wife of Capt. Basden, R. N. Sir Ralph Lopes, the Rev. Walter Radcliffe, and Mr. Tritton, of the firm of Barclay, Tritton, and Co. bankers, are the executors in trust for the disposal of this princely fortune. The remains of Sir Manasseh were interred at Bickleigh.


Lately. Sir William Payne Gallwey, Bart. a General in the army, and Colonel of the 3d dragoon guards; half-brother to the late Lord Lavington, and brotherin-law to the Earl of Dunraven.

He was the youngest son of Ralph Payne, esq. (whose eldest son, Sir Ralph Payne, K.B., was created Lord Lavington in 1795, and died without issue in 1812) by his second wife, Miss Margaret Gallwey. He was appointed Lieutenant in the 1st dragoons in 1777, and Captain in 1782. He served in Flanders, and was at the principal actions in which the British were engaged. In 1794 he obtained a majority and lieutenancy in his regiment, from which he was reImoved to the 3d dragoon guards in 1796. He acquired the rank of Colonel in 1798; was employed for three years on the staff of Ireland as Brigadier-General, and for one year as Major-General; the latter appointment was dated Jan. 1, 1805, in Sept. of which year he exchanged to the 10th light dragoons. In 1807 he was appointed Colonel of the 23d light dragoons; he served in the Peninsula, was present at several affairs in the campaign of 1809, and wore a medal on account of the battle of Talavera. He received the rank of Lieut. General in 1811, was in 1814 removed to the Colonelcey of the 19th dragoons; in 1815 to the 12th lancers; and in 1825 to the 3d dragoon guards. In the last named year he also attained the full rank of General.

Sir William Payne was created a Baronet Dec. 8, 1812; and took the name of Gallwey, in addition to his own, by royal sign manual in 1814, pursuant to the will of Tobias Wall Gallwey, of the


Lately. In Scotland, Brigadier-General Alexander Walker, of the East India Company's Bombay establishment, late Governor of Saint Helena.

This officer was appointed a cadet on the Bombay establishment in 1780, an Ensign in 1782, and posted to the Bombay European regiment. At the close of that year he embarked with the force under Gen. Mathews, to act against the possessions of Hyder Ally on the coasts of Canara and Malabar. During that campaign, Ensign Walker was present at several assaults and engagements, and was removed to the 8th battalion of Sepoys, a distinguished corps, which, for its valour and fidelity, was afterwards appointed the grenadier battalion. At the attack of the Ram Tower, an outwork of Mangolore, Ensign Walker was severely wounded, and again in the course of that remarkable siege; and at its elose he was one of the two hostages delivered on the part of the British troops, as a security for the conditions of the truce. Under these circumstances he remained in Tippoo's camp nearly four months; and for his "spirited and zealous" conduct the government of Bombay bestowed upon him the pay and allowances of a Captain for the period that he was in the hands of the enemy, and a present of 2000 rupees from the treasury.

In December 1785, Ensign Walker sailed with an expedition to the northwest coast of America, the object of which was to collect furs, and establish a military post at Nootka Sound, which it was intended Ensign Walker should command. The expedition explored the coast as far as lat. 62 north, but the scheme of establishing a post was abandoned, and Ensign Walker rejoined the grenadier battalion, in garrison at Bombay. In 1788 he was appointed Lieu


On the renewal of hostilities with Tippoo in 1790, Lieut. Walker's battalion served in the detachment intended for the relief of the Rajah of Travancore, and he was appointed its Adjutant of the Line. He also served the campaigns of 1791 and 1792; and soon after the peace of Seringapatam was appointed Military

OBITUARY.-Brigadier-General Walker.


Secretary to Lieut.-Col. Don, the officer commanding in Malabar. In 1795 he was appointed Quartermaster of Brigade; but he relinquished that situation, and joined his regiment, to be present at the siege of Cochin. He was also at the taking of Colombo in 1796, when he was appointed Military Secretary to Col. Petrie, who commanded the Bombay division of the army.

On the expiration of this service, Lieut. Walker was appointed an assistant to the Commissioners for administering the affairs of Malabar. In 1796 he was appointed Military Secretary to Gen. James Stuart, and held that confidential situation during the whole period that officer was Commander-inchief at Bombay. In 1796 Lieut. Walker was promoted to the rank of Captain, and in 1797 he was appointed Deputy Quartermaster-gen. to the Bombay army, which was some time after followed by the official rank of Major. In 1798 he was appointed Deputy Auditor-general; and in 1799 Quartermaster-gen. to the Bombay army in the field. He was at the battle of Seedasere, and the siege of Seringapatam, which terminated the career of Tippoo. For this service he received a gold medal.

In 1800, Gen. Stuart returned to Europe, and Major Walker received the instructions of Government to proceed to Cochin, when he investigated some complicated and important affairs with the Rajah. At this period the Governor-general, the Marquis Wellesley, expressed his approbation of Major Walker's services and character, by offering to appoint him one of his extra aid-de-camps. In the same year he was appointed a member of the commission for the administration of Malabar, in which character he attended the operations of the army sent to reduce the districts of Wynand and Cotiote, for which he received the thanks of the government at Madras.

His next employment was in the command of the troops destined for Guzerat. Having joined a body of native troops before Kurree, who were professed allies, he was treacherously attacked by a force calculated at 25,000 men, who were with difficulty repulsed; but, having been reinforced by Sir Wm. Clarke, the fort of Kurree was breached, and carried by assault. On this occasion the Governor-general in council desired his "thanks to be signified to Major Walker for the judgment and address which he manifested in the conduct of the negociations, and for his distinguished exertion of military talents in the conflict in which he was unavoidably engaged with the rebels."


In June 1802, Major Walker was appointed Political Resident at the Court of the Guicawar Rajah. In the same year Baroda was besieged, and the Arabs expelled; and the collection of the revenues ceded from the Peishwa and the Guicawar were placed under the administration of Major Walker. In 1807 be was entrusted with the command of an expedition into the districts of Kuttywar; in acknowledgment of which it was declared by the Governor-general that "the singular judgment and discretion which regulated the whole of that able officer's proceedings, the perseverance and activity which have animated his endeavours to promote the objects of the expedition, and have enabled him to surmount the great embarrassments and difficulties which opposed their accomplishment, entitle Major Walker to the highest approbation and applause."

In 1808 this distinguished officer was promoted to the rank of Lieut.-Colonel; and in Jan. 1809, he obtained a furlough to Europe, accompanied by the highest testimonia's in general orders (which, with a long memoir from which the present is abridged, are printed in the first volume of the East India Military Calendar). He had proceeded on his voyage, as far as Point de Galle, when, in consequence of a requisition from the Governor-general, he was recalled to Bombay. He again entered Kuttywar at the head of a British force, and was joined by the Guicawar army. The fort of Kandader was taken on the 17th of June, and that of Mallia, after an obstinate resistance, on the 7th of July. After the lapse of a twelvemonth, Lieut.Col. Walker again received permission to return to his native country, with the assurance that "the progress of his negociations, and the success of his measures, have been marked by that judgment, ability, and address, of which be has afforded so many decided proofs; at the same time that the reputation of the British arms has been maintained and extended under his approved military talents and skill, in a degree that has already attracted the distinguished approbation of the right hon. the Governor-general. The Governor in council, therefore, in announcing Lieut.-Colonel Walker's ultimate return to his native country, embraces the opportunity of renewing the expression of the obligations of the Government for the important services which have already received its cordial and unqualified testimony, and which have been enhanced by the eminent and substantial benefits that this Presidency has derived from his protracted residence in India."


OBITUARY.-Rear-Admiral Sayer.

Lieut.-Col. Walker arrived in England in July 1810, and on the 24th June 1812, he retired from the service. In 1822 he was appointed by the Court of Directors, Governor of St. Helena, with the rank of Brigadier-General, which command he afterwards resigned.


April 29. In Craven-street, Strand, aged 57, George Sayer, esq. Rear Admiral of the Blue, and C.B.

Adm. Sayer was a native of Deal, where his father resided as Collector of the Customs for upwards of thirty years. He entered the navy as a Midshipman in the Phoenix frigate, commanded by Capt. Geo. Anson Byron, with whom he proceeded to the East Indies. In 1790 and 1791 Mr. Sayer served on shore with a body of seamen and marines, at the reduction of Tippoo Saib's posts and other possessions on the Malabar coast. He was also employed on various boat services, in co-operation with the army; and bore a part in the action between the Phoenix and La Resolu, in Nov. 1791.


length advanced to post rank, Feb. 14, 1801.

The Phoenix returned to England in July 1793, and Mr. Sayer was soon after made a Lieutenant into the Carysfort 28, commanded by the present Sir Francis Laforey, in which he assisted at the capture of the Castor frigate, after a close action of an hour and a quarter, off Brest, May 29, 1794. From that period he served as Capt. L.'s First Lieutenant in the Carysfort, Beaufort frigate, and Ganges 74, until March 1796; when he was promoted by that officer's father to the rank of Commander, and ap pointed to the Lacedæmonian sloop of war, on the Leeward Islands station, in which he was present at the capture of St. Lucia.

Capt. Sayer subsequently commanded for a short time the Albicore sloop on the Jamaica station; and in 1797 was attached to the flotilla equipped for the purpose of acting against the mutinous ships in the Nore. During the two ensuing years, and part of 1800, he commanded the Xenophon sloop of war, stationed in the North Sea. In 1799 he brought the notorious Irish rebel, Napper Tandy, and his principal associates, as state prisoners from Hamburgh to London. His next appointment was to the Inspector of 16 guns, in which he conveyed the Prince of Orange and suite from England to the continent. In consequence of a representation by the mercantile community, of Capt. Sayer's zeal and activity in affording protection to the trade of his country, he was at

Capt. Sayer was not again called into service until the latter end of 1804, when he was appointed to the Proselyte 28, in which he sailed in the following year to the West Indies, with 150 merchant vessels and three regiments of infantry under his protection. In 1805 he was removed to the Galatea 32, in which he assisted in the capture of the Danish islands in Dec. 1807. During the year 1808 he was entrusted with the command of a detached naval force employed at the Virgin Isles and off the Spanish Main. He returned to England in the spring of 1809, when the Galatea, being found very defective, was put out of commission, and taken to pieces at Woolwich.

In November following, Capt. Sayer was appointed to the Leda, a new frigate of 42 guns; and at the commencement of the ensuing year was ordered to convoy a number of transports to Cadiz, whence he returned with the flag of Vice-Adm. Purvis. He subsequently escorted a fleet of Indiamen to Bengal, and joining Vice Adm. Drury at Madras, in Jan. 1811, was directed by that officer to assume the command of a squadron, having on board 500 men, part of the expedition against Java. For his exertions on this important service, Captain Sayer received the thanks of the Supreme Government of India, and all the other authorities; and, on the 10th Jan. 1812, the tbanks of both houses of Parliament were voted to him, in common with the other naval and military officers employed in the capture of Batavia and its dependencies, "for their skil ful, gallant, and meritorious exertions." Captain Sayer also received a gold medal, and in 1815 was nominated a C. B. He remained as senior officer of a squadron for several months after the subjugation of the island.

In January 1813, Capt. Sayer was detained in command of an expedition to the island of Borneo, where, in conjunction with Col. James Watson, he succeeded in taking the town, and subduing the whole province of Sambas.

On the death of Vice-Adm. Sir Samuel Hood, at Madras, Dec. 24, 1814, the command devolved on Captain Sayer. He accordingly hoisted a broad pendant on the Leda; and made so judicious a disposition of the force under his orders, that Rear Adm. Sir George Burlton, on his arrival from England in June 1815, to assume the chief command, sent him from Madras to the straits of Sunda and the China sea, for the purpose of directing the movements of the ships he

1831.] OBITUARY.-Rev Dr. Gabell.-Francis Hayward, M.D. 469

He resigned the Mastership of Winchester at the close of 1823; when the scholars presented him with a magnificent present of plate; consisting of a candelabrum weighing 200 ounces, the Latin inscription on which is printed in our vol. xcii. ii. 543; and two massy

had already dispatched thither. On h's voyage he heard, at Java, of the ratification of peace with the United States, and having proceeded to the China sea, was returning thence, when he experienced a ty-foong, in which the Leda was nearly lost. Thus retarded in his progress, Capt. Sayer did not enter the Straits of Malacca until Nov. 19, 1815, when he received intelligence of the Rear-Admiral's death at Madras, on the 21st Sept., by which event he again found himself authorised to hoist the broad pendant, and assume the denomination of Commodore. On the arrival of Rear-Adm. Sir Richard King, at the close of 1816, he resigned the command to that officer, and returned to England after an absence of nearly seven years.

[ocr errors]


April 18. At Binfield, Berkshire, aged 67, the Rev. Henry Dison Gabell, D. D. Rector of that parish, of Ashow, Warwickshire, and of St. Laurence, Winchester; and formerly Head Master of Winchester College.

We believe the father of this gentleman to have been the Rev. Henry Gabell, who, baving been a Fellow of Magdalen college, Oxford, was Rector of Stanlake, Oxfordshire, and a magistrate of that county. He died Jan. 4, 1802 (see our vol. 1XXII. p. 182); and his widow Oct. 7, 1810. Another of the family, the Rev. T. Gabell, was Rector of St. Peter's and St. John's in Winchester, he died in 1803.

He was educated at Winchester school, and thence elected a Fellow of New College, Oxford, where he proceeded only to the degree of B. A. before he was elected master of Warminster school. In 1788 be was presented to the rectory of St. Laurence in Winchester, by Lord Chancellor Thurlow; and in 1793 he came to make his permanent residence in that city on being appointed second master of the school.

In 1796 he published a pamphlet “On the expediency of altering and amending the Regulations recommended by Parliament for reducing the high price of Corn;" and in 1802 a Fast Sermon, preached at St. Laurence, Winchester. He proceeded to the degree of M. A. as a member of St. John's college, Cambridge, in 1807; and succeeded to the Head Mastership of the School on the resignation of Dr. Goddard in 1810. In 1812 he was presented by Chandos Leigh, esq. to the rectory of Ashow in Warwickshire; and in 1820 by Lord Chancellor Eldon, to that of Binfield in Berkshire.


The only two occasions on which Dr. Gabell appeared as an author, are those already named. In the "Works" of Dr. Parr, vol. VII. pp. 469-500, is printed some correspondence between that great scholar and Dr. Gabell, to which the editor, Dr. John Johnstone, has prefixed the following remarks:- "In bringing the correspondence of Dr. Parr and Dr. Gabell before the reader, I have to rejoice that the whole is committed to me by the kindness and liberality of Dr. Gabell. To this distinguished divine and preceptor's acuteness, erudition, judgment, and taste, Dr. Parr's testimony is unbounded; and indeed the critical discussions contained in their letters, could only take place between real scholars. There are no less than ten elaborate letters on one of Bentley's Canons, and other metrical and philological subjects, from the pen of Dr. Parr; and these are answered and discussed by Dr. Gabell. What, then, must the reader's regret be, that there is no room to insert them all! I fully sympathise with it, not without a gleam of hope springing up in my mind that all will yet appear.”

Dr. Gabell married Jan. 11, 1790, Miss Gage, daughter of the Rev. Mr. Gage, of Holton in Oxfordshire. Maria, his third daughter, was married July 18, 1818, to the Rev. William Scott, second son of Sir Joseph Scott, of Great Barr Hall in Staffordshire, Bart.


April 18. At Bath, aged 92, Francis Hayward, M. D.

He was born at Warrington in Lancasbire, one of at least sixteen children of the Rev. Thomas Hayward, M.A. who was also a native of Warrington, the son of Thomas Hayward* of that town, by

In the pedigree of the Marklands, inserted in Mr. Nichols's Literary Anecdotes of the Eighteenth Century, vol. iv. p. 657, to illustrate the biography of Jeremiah Markland, the eminent scholar and critic, the husband of Dorothy Markland is incorrectly described as "the Rev. William Hayward, M.A." His name was certainly Thomas; he was never" M.A." nor was be in the Church. It is not certainly known in what profession he was, but there is reason to

OBITUARY.-Francis Hayward, M.D.


Dorothy his wife, a daughter of Ralph Markland, esq. of the Meadows, to whom he was married Nov. 25, 1682. He was born Feb. 5, 1695-6, entered Brasenose College, Oxford, March 3, 1712-13, took the degree of B. A. Oct. 10, 1716, and of M.A. July 9, 1719. On March 4, 1722, he was instituted to the Vicarage of Garstang, in his native county. This preferment he resigned in 1731, and about that time removed to Warrington, where he was Master of the Grammarschool, and Curate of the Chapel of Sankey, till his death in 1757. His burial is registered at Warrington, Sept. 2, in that year. The biographer of one of his pupils who attained to a distinguished eminence, Dr. Percival of Manchester, has described him as an able but severe master. He was an admirable scholar, and a very useful man.

The Rev. Thomas Hayward married at the Church of St. Sepulchre, Northampton, Nov. 28, 1717, Elizabeth, the only child of Jarrett Lestock, esq. of Ashton near Northampton, the son of Richard Lestock, who was a Captain in the Navy in King William's wars, and brother of Richard Lestock, Vice Admiral of the Blue, whose suspension in 1745 by Admiral Matthews, and subsequent acquittal by a Court Martial, created at the time a very extraordinary sensation.

The late Dr. Hayward was one of the younger children of this marriage. He was born Jan. 25, 1738-9, and baptized at Warrington, Feb. 21 following, when the name of Francis was given to him by his godfather, Dr. Francis Annesley, the Rector of Winwick. To the instruction of his accomplished father, was to be attributed the purity of taste in elegant literature by which he was distinguished, as well as those attainments, which were considerable, in science and classical literature. The profession of Medicine was his own choice, and be seems to have had from his sixteenth or seventeenth year, the direction of himself to the acquirement of the means by which it was to be prosecuted with success. But he fell in London into very able hands, and the admirable skill, the sound sense, and the eminent success and high reputation which he enjoyed, while in the practice of it, showed at once how

think that he was an Attorney. The tradition is, that he was born at Daresbury in Cheshire. The time of his death is also unknown, but he survived his wife, who died in 1707, as appears by acquittances given to the Marklands for his wife's fortune.


ably his studies had been directed, and the eminent powers of his own mind. He settled at Hackney about the year 1760, and there he continued till 1805, when he abandoned a very extensive practice, and left a numerous circle of friends, many of whom were eminent for their literary and scientific attainments, for the enjoyment of that honourable repose which was looked for rather through a natural inclination, than from any sense and feeling of failure in the corporeal or intellectual powers.

It was at this period of his life that his friend Dr. Tate obtained for him the diploma of M.D. from one of the Scotch Universities. With the world before him, he first elected Taunton as the place of his residence; but he soon discovered, what so many others have found, that England presents no place which is equally eligible with Bath, as a retirement in the period between the burry and the end of life. He removed thither in 1806, and at Bath the whole evening of his long day of life has been past, in the enjoyment of many intellectual pleasures, for which his well-stored and wellexercised mind had prepared bim, with fewer infirmities, except that great one of the loss of sight, than usually falls to the share of persons of such very advanced years, and in the frequent serious but unostentatious meditation on his end.

Dr. Hayward married a sister of the late Nathaniel Green, esq. who was many years the British Consul at Nice; by whom he had nine children, four sons and five daughters:-1. Thomas, who was trained under Mr. Wales, an eminent nautical mathematician, and was sent early in life to sea. He was a midshipman on board the Bounty, in Captain Bligh's unfortunate voyage to Otaheite, and when on the return the mutineers seized the ship, he was the first person put down by them into the launch. He bore all the hardships of the long exposure in the open boat, and returned with Captain Bligh. When the Pandora was sent out to bring home the mutineers, under the command of Captain Edwards, he went as third Lieutenant, with the charge of the mathematical instruments, and the making astronomical observations and a chart of the voyage. On its return the vessel struck on a reef of rocks on the north of New Holland, and was wrecked. Most of the crew were saved; and after nineteen days of suffering, which he was accustomed to describe as severer than those which he sustained in the launch of the Bounty, they reached Timor in the ship's boats. At the beginning of

[ocr errors]
« PredošláPokračovať »