« PredošláPokračovať »
of faith: 31. But Ifrael, which followed after the law of righteoufnels, hath not attained to the law of righteoufnefs. 32. Wherefore? Because they fought it, not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law for they f ftumbled at that ftumbling-ftone; 33. As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a ftumbling-ftone, and rock of offence: and whofoever believeth on him, fhall not be * afha med [Or, confounded].
hearts defire and
to God for Ifrael is, that they might be faved. 2. For I bear them record, that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3. For they being ignorant of righteoufnefs, and going about to eftablish their own righteoufnefs, have not fubmitted themselves unto the righteoufnefs of God. 4. For Chrift is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5. For Mofes defcribeth the righteoufnefs which is of the law, that the man which doth thofe things, fhall live by them. 6. But the righteoufnefs which is of faith, fpeaketh on this wife, Say not in thine heart, Who fhall afcend into heaven? (that is to bring Chrift down from above). 7. Or, Who fhall defcend into the deep? (that is to bring up Chrift again from the dead). 8. But what faith it? The f word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart:
D that 11. * Gal. 3. 12. See on Luk.
Gal 5. 4. Chrift is become of no effect unto you, whofoever of you are juftified by the Law; ye are fallen from Grace.
32. ft Cor. 1. 23. See on Luk. 2.
6. e * Deut. 30. 11, 12, 13. This Commandment which I command thee this Day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. It is not in Heaven, that thou fhouldft fay, Who fhall go up for us to Heaven, and bring it unto us, See on Luk. 2. 10 that we may hear it, and do it?
Ifa 28. 16.
Neither is it beyond the Sea, that thou fhouldft fay, Who fhall go over the Sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and
31. d † Rom. 1o. 2, 3. † Rom.
34. g *
33. Ifa. 8. 14. 1 Pet. 2. 7, 8.
CHA P. X.
+Rom. 10. 11.
4. © † Gäl. 3. 24.
2. at A&ts 22. 3. † Rom. 9. 31. † Gal. 1. 14. + Gal. 4. 17. 15 do it?
See on A&ts 21. 20.
3. See on Rom. 1. 17.
13. 38, 39. 1.
See on A&s
Lev. 18. 5. ↑ Ezek. 20.30
8 f ⭑ Deut. 30. 14. But the Werd is very nigh unto thee, in thy Mouth and in thy Heart, thou mayft do it.
that is the word of faith which we preach. 9. That (1) if thou shalt confefs with thy mouth the Lord Jefus, and fhalt believe in thine heart, that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be faved. 10. For with the heart man believeth unto righteoufnefs, and with the mouth confeffion is made unto falvation. 11. For the fcripture faith, whosoever h believeth on him, fhall not be afhamed. 12. For there is no difference be tween the Jew and the Greek: for the fame Lord
Ifa. 49. 23. Kings fhall be thy nurfing Fathers, and their Queens thy nurfing Mothers, and thou fhalt know that I am the Lord: for they fhall not be ashamed that wait for me. Jer. 17. 7. Bleffed is the Man that trufteth in the Lord, and whofe Hope the Lord is. † Rom. 9. 33. -Whofoever believ eth in him fhall not be ashamed. 12. See on Acts 10. 35. k+ Acts 10. 36. Preaching Peace by Jefus Chrift (he is Lord of
9. Mat. 1o. 32. Whofoever therefore fhall confefs me before Men, him will I confefs alfo be. fore my Father which is in Heaven. Acts 8. 37. If thou believeft with all thine Heart, thou mayst [be baptized]. And he anfwered and faid, I believe that Jefus Chrift is the Son of God.
Ji. .Ifa. 28. 16. Behold, I lay in Zion for a Foundation, a Stone, a tried Stone,a precious corner Stone, a fure Foundation: he that believeth fhall not make hafte.
(1) The Conditions of Salvation are not any where mentioned together, but fcattered up and down in feveral Places of the New-Teftament. In all thofe Places therefore where only one or more of these Conditions are expreffed, there all the other are to be underftood; or that which is expreffed is to be taken in fuch a large Senfe as prefuppofes and includes all the other Conditions. Thus he who truly believes in Jefus Chrift, embraces his Doctrine, and submits to his Laws, which enjoin the other Conditions of Salvation. And therefore though Salvation feems here to be promised to him who owns and confeffes Chrift Jefus, and believes: that God hath raifed him, from the Dead, yet this gives not the leaft encouragement to him who fhall neglect or contemn his Laws, and prefume to live wickedly. Again, He that believeth and is baptized, shall be faved; but if a Man by wicked Works denies his Faith, and refufes to perform his Part of the Gofpel Covenant entred into at his Baptifm, he will be excluded the Kingdom of Heaven; becaufe the Unrighteous fhall not enter into it. Once more, it is faid, that He that giveth a Cup of cold Water to a Difciple, in the Name of a Difciple, fhall not lose his Reward'; but a Perfon must be but ill inftructed in the Chriftian Religion, and willing to deceive himself, who can think that the Practice of one Duty, will make amends for the Omiffion of many, or for the Commiffion of any Sin which God has forbidden, for God hates Pride and Covetousness, and he will judge and condemn Whoremongers and Adulterers, and all fuch as prefume to live in the wilful Commiffion of Sin of any kind or fort. For all Luts and Sins, both of the Flesh and of the Spirit, war against the Soul, and without Repentance, and a Change of the Mind and Life, exclude the Guilty the Kingdom of Heaven.
over all, is rich unto all that call upon him. 13. For whofoever fhall call upon the name of the Lord, fhall be faved. 14. How then fhall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how fhall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how fhall they hear " without a preacher? 15. And how fhall 15. And how fhall they preach, except they be fent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the golpel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16. But they have not all o beyed the gofpel. For Efaias faith, Lord, who hath believed our report [Gr. the hearing of us, or, our preaching]? 17. So then, faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 18. But I fay, Have they not heard? Yes, verily, their found went into all the earth, and their words unto the " ends of the world. 19. But I fay, Did not Ifrael know? Firft Mofes faith, I will provoke you to D 2 jealoufie
of all). Rom. 3. 29. Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not alfo of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles alfo. 1 Tim. 2. 5. There is one God, and one Mediator between God and Men, the Man Chrift Jefus. [ 't Eph. 1. 7. t Eph. 2.7. See on Rom. 2. 4.
Acts 9.14. See on Acts 2. 21. and on Acts 7.
13. m Joel 2.32.
did not profit them, not being mixed with Faith in them that heard it.
* Ifa. 53. 1. Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the Arm of the Lord revealed? *Joh. 12. 38. That the Saying of Efaias the Prophet might be fulfilled which he fpake, Lord, who hath believed our Report?
17. Cor. 1. 21. It pleafed God by the Foolifhnefs of Preaching to fave them that believe. Eph. 1. 13. In whom alfo ye trufted, af
that ye beard the Word of Truth, the Gospel of your Salvas
Pfal. 19. 4. t Col. 1. 6, 23. See on Mat. 24. 14. 201 Kings 18. io. As the Lord thy God liveth, there is no Nation or Kingdom, whither my Lord hath not fent to feek thee.
14. Joh. 15. 22. If I had not come, and spoken unto them, they had not had Sin. Tit. 1. 3. [God] hath in due times manifeft-15ter ed his Word through Preaching, which is committed unto me, according to the Commandment of God our Saviour.
15.Ifa. 52. 7. How beautiful upon the Mountains are the Feet of him that bringeth good Tidings, that publifheth Peace, that bringeth good Tidings of good, that publisheth Salvation, that faith unto Zion, 25 Thy God reigneth. Nah. 1 15. Behold upon the Mountains the Feet of him that bringeth good Tidings, that publifheth Peace.
16. P† Heb. 4. 2. Unto us was jo the Gofpel preached, as well as unto them: but the Word preached
19. Deut. 4. 6. Keep therefore and do them, for this is your Wif dom and Understanding in the Sight of the Nations which fhall hear all thefe Statutes, and fay, Surely this great Nation is a wife and understanding People. *Deut. 32. 21. -I will move them to jealoufe With
jealoufie by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation! will anger you. 20. But Efaias is very bold, and faith, I was found of them that fought me not; I was made manifeft unto them that asked not after me. 21. But to Ifrael he faith, All day long I have ftretched forth my hands unto a difobedient and gainfaying people.
Say then, Hath God caft-away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Ifraelite, of the feed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2. God hath not caft away people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the fcripture faith of [Gr. in] Elias? how he maketh Interceffion to God againft Ifrael, faying, 3. Lord, they have kil led thy Prophets, and digged down thine Altars; and I am left alone, and they feek my life. 4. But what faith the anfwer of God unto him? I have referved to my felf feven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. 5. Even fo then at this prefent time al fo there is a fremnant according to the election of grace,
with thofe that are not a People, I will provoke them to anger with a foolish Nation. Rom. 11. 11.
20. b*Ifa. 65. 1. I am fought of them that ask not for me: I am found of them that fought me not: I faid, Behold me, behold me, unto a Nation that was not called by my Name
A&ts 22.3. I am verily a Man, which am a Jew. t 2 Cor. 11. 22. Are they Hebrews? fo am I: are they Ifraelites? fo am I: are they the Seed of Abraham? fo am I. Phil. 3. 5. Circumcifed the eighth Day,of the Stock of Ifrael, of the Tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews.
21. *Ifa. 65. 2. I have fpread 10 out my Hands all the Day unto a rebellious People, which walketh in a Way that is not good, after their own thoughts.
1.1 Sam. 12. 22. The Lord will not forfake his People, for his great Names fake: because it hath pleafed the Lord to make you his People. Pfal. 94. 14. The Lord 20 will not caft of his People, neither will he forfake his Inheritance.
3. I King. 19. 15. I have been very jealous for the Lord God of Hofts: for the Children of Ifrael have forfaken thy Covenant, thrown down thine Altars, and flain thy Prophets with the Sword; and I, even I only am left, and they feek my Life to take it away.
4. 1 King. 19. 18. I have left me feven thoufand in Ifrael, all the Knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every Mouth which hath not killed him.
Jer. 31.37. Thus faith the Lord, If Heaven above can be measured, and the Foundations of the Earth 25 fearched out beneath, I will alfo caft off all the Seed of Ifrael, for all that they have done, faith the
2. See on Rom. 8. 29.
5. + Rom. 9. 27. -Though the Number of the Children of lfrael be as the Sand of the Sea, a Remnant fhall be faved.
grace, 6. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwife grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwife work is no more work. 7. What then? Ifrael hath not obtained that which he feeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the i reft were blinded [Or, hardned]: 8. According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of flumber [Or, remorse], eyes that they fhould not fee, and ears that they fhould not hear, unto this day. 9. And David faith, Let their table be made a fiare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them. 10. Let their eyes be darkned, that they may not fee, and bow down their back alway. 11. I fay then, Have they stumbled that they fhould fall? God forbid: but rather m through their fall falvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealoufie. 12. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing [Or decay, or, lofs] of them the riches of the Gentiles: how much more their fulness? 13. For I speak to you Gentiles, in as much as I am the
apoftle + Ezek. 12. 2. See on Mat. 13..
9. Pfal. 69. 22, 23. Let their Table become a Snare before them: and that which should have been for their Welfare, let it become a Trap. Let their Eyes be darkned, that they fee not; and make their Loins continually to shake.
16. & † Rom. 4.4, 5. Now to
11. Acts 13. 45, 46. When the Jews faw the Multitudes, they were filled with Envy, and fpake against thofe things which were fpoken by Paul, contradicting and blafpheming. Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was neceffary that the Word of God fhould firft have been fpoken to you but feeing ye put it from 20 you, and judge your felves unworthy of everlasting Life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.
n Rom. 10. 19.
See on Mat. 13. 14. alfo the 25 16. † Gal. 2.2, 8.
+1 Tim. 2. 7.
作 Ifa. 6. 9.
7. h + Rom. 9. 31. Ifrael, which followed after the Law of Righteoufnefs, hath not attained to the Law of Righteoufnefs. † Rom.
7.4* Ifa. 29. 10. 8. k*
Rom. 15. 16. † Gal. r.
† Eph. 3.8. t2 Tim. 1. I.